In Germany, health insurance is mandatory for all students. Enrolment is not possible without valid proof of insurance. It is therefore important to be properly informed about health insurance in Germany at an early stage.

Nationals from EU countries or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

As an EU citizen, if you unexpectedly fall ill during a temporary stay in another EU country - whether on holiday, a business trip or studying abroad - you are entitled to any medical Image result for European Health Insurance Card"
treatment that can't wait until you get home. You have the same rights to health care as people insured in the country you are in.
This means that if you have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), a copy of this card is sufficient proof for matriculation and you don't need to concern about anything more.
If you do not have it yet, just contact your health insurer in your home country.
Exception: if you wish to have a part-time student job in Germany or if you are completing a paid internship, you must be insured through a German health insurance company.

You are not sure what's your case?

Then just follow this fast check-box test provided by the International Office to help you identify in which situation you fit.
There you can also find more detailed information.

You need/want a private German insurer?

In this case we recomend you to contact our partner TK - Tech­niker Kran­ken­kasse.
You can contact (in German or English) them through
        Tobias Gorr
        Tel.: 040 – 46 06 51 11-404
        Mobil: +49 1 70 – 769 76 84
Or you can find their office on Central Campus, in the Central Mensa building.